Thursday 15 November 2012

Restaurant Re-Opens

Posted at 5:31 AM

*
*Update*

One of Merrill’s favorite Restaurants is open today, Champs Family restaurant has work crews make repairs to the buildings furnace and water heaters. Champs was closed on Thursday after a gas leak and dangerous levels of Carbon Monoxide were discovered on Wednesday. Owner Ryan Schwartzman said Champs has been given the all clear to resume business and he’s happy to be back serving customers after the one-day closing.


A favorite restaurant in Merrill is closed for repairs this morning after Merrill firefighters were dispatched to Champs Family Restaurant on Wednesday just past noon. The original call to Lincoln County Dispatch was for a strong natural gas smell in the basement, when Firefighters arrived, all customers and staff were evacuated.

Fire crews made entry to the building wearing self-contained breathing equipment carrying sensing devices’ and determined there was a natural gas leak in the basement. More importantly, firefighters found elevated levels of carbon monoxide on the main floor of the restaurant at 30 to 40 parts per million and a dangerous 90 to 100 parts per million in the basement. WPS was called to fix the gas leak and a furnace repair shop is now fixing a venting problem with the furnace and water heater.

Owner Ryan Schwartzman told WJMT News that Champs family Restaurant will be closed today while the repairs are being made.

 

Advertise with WJMT